Linwood Park Cemetery,
Boone, Boone County, Iowa

Photographed, Submitted & © by Toni Lamb


Cemetery Pic

Submitted & © by Toni Lamb


Cemetery Pic

Submitted & © by Toni Lamb


Cemetery Pic

Submitted & © by Toni Lamb


Cemetery Pic

Submitted & © by Toni Lamb


Historical Information:
One of the finest cemeteries in Iowa is located in Boone and has a history dating back 99 years since it was founded as Linwood Park Cemetery on June 9, 1866.

The original plot was purchased from McFarland and Hull and lots 341 and 372 were platted on July 28, 1880, having been purchased from a Mr. Bascomb. These were added to the original site.

The second addition was included November 18, 1892, and consisted of 24 lots along the east line of the Chicago and North Western Railroad and lots 24 to 61 south of the original plat known as the "Stevens Addition."

On July 25, 1895, a corporation, caleld "East Linwood Cemetery Association," was formed to establish and develop a cemetery east of Honey Creek and providing for a permanent care fund.

The new cemetery land was purchased from Goodykoontz, Herman and Wright and a new corporation was formed on July 19, 1912 to take over both cemeteries and place the whole under permanent care. This is known as the Linwood Park Cemetery Association.

The first burial in the cemetery was Lydia Lockwood on October 14, 1855 before its official organization.

On August 1, 1912 the city council adopted Ordinance No. 434, which granted the association the right to establish and maintain a cemetery. It describes the boundaries of the cemetery, which are approximately from the Milwaukee railroad right-of-way on the north between Carroll street on the east and Harrison street on the West, if the two streets were carried through.

It also states that in return for the right the cemetery will maintain a "potter's field." The ordinance was signed by John S. Crooks, mayor, and attested by Otto Hile, city clerk. On September 28, 1912 the association accepted the provisions of the ordinance.

On November 22, 1929 the council adopted another ordinance which added more land to the area. This was signed by J. E. Irwin, mayor, with Loren McCambridge attesting as city clerk.

The newest section was built in 1963 and consists of eight gardens. It has circular roads and is well landscaped.

The late A. J. Berkley was the original president and served from 1896 until 1922. He was followed by the late E. E. Chandler, who served until 1930. The late W. W. Goodykoontz served as president from 1930 until 1953 and he was followed in office by the late Howard Rice, who was president from 1953 until his death in June 1965. Glen Samuelson was elected president on July 12 of this year.

Taken from the Boone News-Republican Centennial Issue September 13, 1965.

This cemetery is divided into twenty-two different sections. Every section is different on how it was walked. Some sections have rows that run in tow or three different directions. They have utilized every space available. Rows run north to south, east to west, around in a circle or diagonal.

If you have a photograph, obit and/or would like to write up a bio on someone to share with other and future researchers/family members/descendants,
please email me.

 

A

June 19, 2012
B

June 19, 2012
C

April 19, 2012
D

April 19, 2012
E
F

July 31, 2012
G

April 19, 2012
H

July 31, 2012
I
J

June 19, 2012
K

July 31, 2012
L

July 31, 2012
M

April 19, 2012
N

July 31, 2012
O
P

July 31, 2012
Q
R

April 19, 2012
S

April 19, 2012
T
U
V
W
X
 
Y

April 19, 2012
Z
 

Boone County, Iowa Cemeteries Project Home Page
Iowa Cemeteries Project Home Page
This pAge was updated: Monday, 09-Jun-2014 18:54:21 CDT

This site may be freely linked, but not duplicated
in any way without consent.

This site created, maintained & © by Kim Hendrix

The copyright (s) on this pAge must appear on all
copied and/or printed material.

All rights reserved! Commercial use of material within this site is prohibited!