Texas National Guard, Camp Maxey



Located off US 271, 9 miles North of Paris, Lamar County, Texas

From 1942-45, the U S Army operated Camp Maxey, 10 miles north of Paris. During World War II, Camp Maxey had an area of 36,683 Acres, and billeting space for 2,022 Officers, and 42,515 Enlisted Personnel.

The camp served as an infantry-division training camp. Named in honor of Samuel Bell Maxey, it was activated on July 15, 1942 and deactivated Octobert 1, 1945. It also served as an internment center for many German prisoners of war. Currently, Camp Maxey is maintained by a Texas Army National Guard unit , who regularly conduct training exercises, although the Camp itself is garrisoned normally by a force of only 10 men. Civil Air Patrol's Texas Wing also regularly uses the camp for training events.

In June 2008, when word came that over 600 American service personnel were coming to receive training for the war in Iraq, residents of the city of Paris adopted them and made donations of everything the troops could possibly need so they might enjoy their stay in Paris before they go on to the war.

image

Submitted & © by Carole Curry

image

Submitted & © by Carole Curry
Texas Historical Commission
Camp Maxey
Recognizing In 1940 That Hosting Peacetime Draftees
Might Revive The County's Economy, The City Of Paris
Sent A Request For The Army To Build A Training Camp
Here. The Local American Legion Acquired Land Operations.

Delegations From The Chamber Of Commerce Of Lamar
County Received Initial Support But Congreeman
Lyndon Johnson Moved The Planned Camp To His District
At Bastrop. In Response U. S. Senator Tom Connally And
Army Officials Ensured A Camp For Paris, Confirmed In
July 1941. The 70,000 Acre Site Was Being Surveyed When
The U.S. Entered World War II In December.

Camp Maxey, Named For C.S.A. General And U.S. Senator
Sam Bell Maxey From Paris, Was Activated On July 15,
1942. Its Main Entrance Was "Gate 5" Marked By Stone
Portals At This Site. Two Infantry Divisions, The 102nd
"Ozark" And 99th "Checkerboard" Trained Here With The
250th Field Artillery And Other Army Units. A Regional
Hospital And A Prisoner Of War Camp Hosting 7,000
Germans Were Part Of The Reservation.

Local Women Formed The "Maxey Command" To Host
Dances For The Total Of 194,800 Soldiers Stationed Here.
Area Residents Housed Thousands Of Dependents And
Filled 10,300 Civilian Jobs On Base. The Camp Was Closed
When The P.O.W. Stockade Was Vacated In Early 1946.
(1992)

Texas Trails Project Page
Texas Cemeteries Project Home Page
This page was updated: Monday, 09-Jun-2014 20:12:55 CDT

This site may be freely linked, but not duplicated
in any way without consent.

This site created, maintained & © by Kim Hendrix

The copyright (s) on this page must appear on all
copied and/or printed material.

All rights reserved! Commercial use of material within this site is prohibited!